Work is scheduled at night to minimize disruptions to travelers on the complete run of the Big Sur coast.
– Maintenance work on the Bixby Bridge will result in full overnight closures of Highway 1 at Bixby Bridge for four nights beginning Monday, March 28. This is a continuation of work initiated last July to effect repairs to the concrete on the bridge structure.
This work is scheduled at night to minimize disruptions to travelers on the complete run of the Big Sur coast.
The hours of the overnight closures will be from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Highway 1 at Bixby Bridge will be closed:
- Monday, March 28, 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 29, 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Wednesday, March 30, 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Thursday, March 31, 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
This schedule is weather dependent as rain or wind may affect the use of specialized equipment.
Note: Due to the use of a large crane and other heavy equipment on the bridge during the closure, the roadway would take at least 30 minutes to reopen for emergency vehicles.
In case of an emergency requiring travel across the Bixby Bridge during the hours of the closures, residents and all travelers are advised to call 911. There is no detour for this closure and traffic control will direct motorists to return along Highway 1 in the direction from which they came. Message and directional signs will alert motorists in advance of the closure area.
These closures are necessary for contracted maintenance crews to perform repairs and inspections on the bridge support for the safety of all travelers.
Caltrans reminds motorists to move over and slow down when driving through highway work zones.
For traffic updates on other state highways in Monterey County, travelers may contact Caltrans District 5 Public Affairs at (805) 549-3318 or can visit the District 5 website at: https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-5