Imagine coming home from an amazing weekend away to find your laundry room and kitchen flooded from a cracked water pipe! “No problem!” Roll up our sleeves, make a run to the hardware store and get everything all fixed up, right? Maybe not. The water damage and remediation specialists at SERVPRO of Avila Beach believe that an informed decision is usually the best decision.
Some people are qualified to repair cracked and broken pipes themselves, but few have the knowledge and equipment that is needed to properly remove water and water damaged materials from a building. That work includes:
- Assessing all of the damage, including damage to furniture, flooring, walls, and other items
- Making the structural assessments needed to determine what needs to be repaired or possibly replaced
- Assessing the associated mold damage
- Properly disposing of contaminated materials
Aside from the skill and equipment needed to properly repair and restore water and mold damage, you may encounter problems getting the claim processed by your homeowner’s insurance company. If the claim is finally settled, any problems down the road that are the result of improper and incomplete repairs will most likely not be covered by your insurance.
Here’s a list that can help you decide whether to attempt the job yourself or call the experts from SERVPRO of Avila Beach to repair water damage to your home.
- There are different types of water. The first is “normal,” or “clean” water that is typically water we drink and use to bathe. Next is gray water, which is slightly dirty water from dishwashers, laundry, and the water that goes down the drain from baths and showers. The third is black water such as sewage or serious flooding from nearby rivers, etc. This water contains waste, bacteria and other serious contaminants. Black water can cause very serious health problems.
- Wet materials start developing serious problems like mold after around 24 hours. For long term conditions the mold may already be growing. Mold can go undetected for a long time inside walls and under floors. Some mold is toxic to humans, and all mold is very damaging to the materials it infests.
- Water damage rots wood and other building materials, and cause rust that can weaken metal over time. If areas that have been damaged by water are not thoroughly dried, the remaining moisture and mold will continue to damage those areas.
The steps to repair water damage
The first step is to inspect and assess the damage. Water flows to other areas of the house and seeps into everything it touches. It’s important to locate everyplace the water has reached, including electrical wiring. It’s necessary to know what is wet or even damp, because even lightly damp areas can continue to cause damage and grow mold. It’s important to completely remove all water and moisture.
- The process of removing water with powerful pumps and vacuums begins as soon as possible. Removing the water helps prevent more water damage and mold.
- The professionals use industrial quality air movers and dehumidifiers to dry the remaining areas. Testing with specialized tools indicates when the areas are completely dry.
- Items, including structural components, that can be restored are cleaned, sanitized and deodorized.
- The last process is restoring your home or business to the condition it was in before the water damage. This stage might require repairs such as replacing drywall, installing new carpet, replacing a floor, or reconstruction of major areas or rooms.
Working with your insurance
Working with the professionals from SERVPRO of Pismo Beach gives you the added benefit of a stress free claims process with your insurance company. SERVPRO works with most major insurance companies and helps property owners process claims quickly and accurately, and make tracking the progress of your claim simple and worry-free.
Call SERVPRO of Avila Beach today to start your claim and get your home or business restored to “like it never happened.”
Get a free email in your inbox daily with the most up to date Paso Robles news source.