Painting over mold might temporarily hide it but won’t kill it. “Mold continues to grow under the paint, continues to damage walls and floors, and eventually causes the paint to peel,” said Joe Powers, the Servpro of Atascadero mold damage specialist.
Mold is a living fungus that eats through all kinds of material and can cause chemical reactions on painted surfaces. Painting over mold, touching and cleaning it can release spores that can be inhaled into the air. Appropriate eye and respiratory protection along with other protective gear are critical and proper cleaning or painting protocols need to be followed to prevent airborne contamination.
When mold appears on walls, floors, under cabinets, in bathrooms or laundry rooms, or anywhere, it’s a sign that those areas are holding moisture. The moisture can come from a small persistent leak, a roof that leaked during rain, standing water under the building, or any other number of reasons.
While some paint is formulated to stop surface mold, that paint does not stop mold from spreading beneath the surface. The source of the mold must be located and removed to prevent future growth and associated damage. Along with the mold being unsightly and a possible health hazard, the wetness that allows the mold to grow can cause expensive structural damage.
The Center for Disease Control reports that exposure to indoor mold is linked to upper respiratory tract symptoms in otherwise healthy people and more complicated symptoms in those with compromised health, especially respiratory conditions.
Both water and mold stains walls, floors, and just about everything else that comes in contact with them. Damage happens when water or mold soak into wood, masonry, and fabric such as carpets, upholstery, even clothes stored in closets. Spores can be released by the lightest touch, even from the family cat brushing against a mold infected spot or running a fan to cool down a room. Walking over damp surfaces spreads mold spores, even within the 24 to 48 hours before mold starts to become visible. There is also the danger of water and moisture damaging electrical wiring and creating a fire hazard.
The best way to prevent mold from growing is to stop water damage first. When that isn’t possible, usually because the water damage and mold growth aren’t immediately visible, locate the cause at the first observation of mold. Specialists like Servpro of Atascadero, the mold damage specialists can locate the source and:
- Dry out the area causing the mold
- Remove materials that are damaged by mold and water
- Repair the damage
As mold damage specialists, Servpro of Atascadero has the equipment, experience, and advanced training to safely remove mold damage. The team focuses on removing the source of the mold and then isolates the affected area using the latest technologies and mold remediation techniques.
Servpro of Atascadero
7343 El Camino Real
Atascadero, CA 93422
This press release is by Paso Robles online advertising company Access Publishing, 806 9th Street, #2D, Paso Robles, CA 93446, (805) 226-9890.